Broccoli Soup with Yogurt
Use whole or soy yogurt in this recipe, as low-fat yogurt may be too sour.
Body+Soul, October 2005
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 cups milk
- 4 cups (cut from about 2 pounds of whole broccoli heads) broccoli florets
- Salt and white pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup plain whole yogurt or soy yogurt
- Heat butter in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion until softened, about 4 minutes. Stir in milk, bring to a boil, and simmer for 4 minutes.
- Cook the broccoli florets in rapidly boiling salted water until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain in a colander and rinse under cold water to set the bright green color. Drain.
- Puree the milk mixture with broccoli in a blender. Return the soup to the saucepan and heat thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper. Serve lukewarm to warm. Garnish each serving with a dollop of yogurt.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.