Plantains aren't meant for eating right out of the peel, but they are transformed into a gently sweet dessert when caramelized. If you can't find plantains, bananas are just as delicious.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 plantains (sweet), cut into 1/3-inch slices
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- In a 9-inch skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the sugar and cook, stirring, until the syrup is a light caramel color, about 2 minutes.
- Add the plantains, tossing to coat, and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the apple juice and boil 1 minute, or until thickened slightly. Stir in the cinnamon and remove from the heat.
- Divide the plantains among 4 dessert plates and spoon the juices over each.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.