Make up a batch of these dense bars ahead of time and have them on hand for a quick, portable breakfast. They will last up to a week at room temperature, or for three months if wrapped individually and frozen.
Body+Soul, May 2008
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes, plus cooling
- Yield Serves 8
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil, plus more for pan
- 1 1/4 cups spelt flakes
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup sproated or ground flaxseeds
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped pistachios
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Brush an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with oil. Line bottom and two sides with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on each side. Brush paper with oil. In a bowl, combine spelt, cherries, flaxseeds, pecans, pistachios, and salt; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine honey, peanut butter, oil, and vanilla. Cook over medium until melted. Add to dry ingredients and stir to combine. Transfer mixture to prepared pan; smooth top. Bake until golden and edges pull away from sides of pan, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool completely in pan. Using paper overhang, lift bars out of pan. On a cutting board, cut into 8 pieces using a serrated knife. Store in an airtight container, separating pieces with wax or parchment paper, for one week.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.