Espresso Ice Milk
This ice milk is a snap to pull together but must chill before freezing in an ice cream maker; you might want to prepare it up to the chilling point in the morning.
- 3 cups (two 12-ounce cans) low-fat evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brewed espresso
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat the evaporated milk in a 2-quart saucepan over low heat until warm.
- Stir together the sugar and 2 tablespoons of the espresso in a heavy saucepan. Place over high heat and cook, without stirring, about 2 minutes (the mixture will bubble), until the sugar has caramelized to a dark amber. Remove from the heat and pour in the remaining 2 tablespoons espresso.
- Stir the espresso mixture into the warm milk and mix well. Stir in the vanilla and salt. Cover and chill thoroughly.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.