Immunity Boosting Soup
This nourishing soup bolsters immunity and helps ease cold and flu symptoms, says herbalist Rosemary Gladstar. Read more about boosting your immunity in
Body+Soul, November/December 2006
- Yield Makes about 3 quarts
- 1 ounce dried astragalus root
- 4 ounces fresh dandelion root, thinly sliced (or 2 ounces dried)
- 4 ounces fresh burdock root, thinly sliced (or 2 ounces dried)
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon dried kelp, dulse, or other sea vegetable
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium-size onion, chopped
- 5 to 8 medium-size fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup miso paste, (any variety)
- Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil and reduce heat. Add astragalus, dandelion, burdock, ginger, and sea vegetable; cover and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour. Strain, return broth to pot, and keep over medium heat. In a saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat; add onion and mushrooms, and saute until tender. Add garlic; saute for a few more minutes. Add entire mixture to broth. Turn off heat, and stir in miso paste.
Fresh burdock root (also called gobo) and dandelion root are available in some grocery stores. Dried burdock, astragalus, and dandelion root are available at herb stores or online.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.