Roasted Portobello Caprese Salad
Tomatoes are roasted and then layered with the other traditional ingredients of a caprese salad -- mozzarella and basil -- over mushrooms.
Martha Stewart Living, September 2009
- 8 portobello mushroom caps
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced 3/4 inch thick (8 slices total)
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced 1/2 inch thick (4 slices total)
- 4 cups arugula
- Toasted bread, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place mushrooms and garlic on a rimmed baking sheet; coat with oil and vinegar. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt, and season with pepper. Roast, shaking sheet occasionally, for 20 minutes. Flip mushrooms and garlic to recoat with oil. Add tomatoes; flip to coat in oil, sprinkle with remaining teaspoon salt, and season with pepper. Roast until mushrooms are tender and tomatoes are soft, 20 minutes more.
- Rub softened garlic onto mushrooms. Place 1 mushroom on each of 4 plates, and top each with some basil. Stack another mushroom and 1 mozzarella slice onto each. Layer more basil, 1 tomato slice, more basil, then another tomato onto each. Divide arugula among plates, and drizzle with pan juices. Serve with bread if desired.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.