Whole Living, May 2011
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly, plus more for coating baking dish
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup walnuts or almonds, toasted and chopped
- 1/3 cup fine-grain natural cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 ripe bananas, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 1/2 cups huckleberries, blueberries, or mixed berries
- Maple syrup, for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Combine the oats, half the nuts, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, whisk the milk, egg, half the butter, and the vanilla.
- Arrange bananas in a single layer on the bottom of the coated baking dish. Sprinkle with two-thirds of the berries, then cover with the oat mixture. Slowly drizzle milk mixture over the oats. Gently tap dish on a work surface to distribute liquid. Scatter remaining berries and nuts across the top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the top is nicely golden and the oat mixture has set. Let cool slightly. Drizzle with remaining melted butter and maple syrup.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.