Arugula, Frisee, and Red-Leaf Salad with Strawberries
In this salad, peppery, dark-green arugula contrasts with sweet, crisp red-leaf lettuce and light-green, lacy, bitter frisee. If you prefer a lighter dish, simply omit the walnuts and goat cheese.
Body+Soul, April/May 2006
- Prep Time 35 minutes
- Total Time 35 Minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 cups baby arugula (about 2 ounces), washed and dried
- 3 cups (about 1/2 small head) red-leaf lettuce, washed, dried, and torn into bite-size pieces
- 3 cups (about 1 small head) frisee, trimmed, washed, dried, and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 pint strawberries, washed, dried, hulled, and quartered
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped (optional)
- 2 Belgian endives, leaves separated, washed and dried
- 6 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Add the arugula, red-leaf lettuce, frisee, strawberries, and walnuts, if using. Season with salt and pepper; toss to combine.
- On each of 4 individual salad plates, arrange 3 large endive leaves in a 3-pointed star with tips facing out. Then place equal mounds of salad in the center of each plate. Scatter goat cheese on top, if desired. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.