Escarole with Toasted Garlic
The magic in this dish comes from perfectly toasted garlic. To achieve this gorgeous golden hue -- and avoid bitter burned garlic -- be patient.
Body+Soul, March 2010
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, very thinly sliced
- 1 large head escarole, cut into 1-inch- wide ribbons (10 cups)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup chicken stock (optional)
- Lemon juice or wedges
- Combine olive oil and garlic in a large skillet. Set over medium-low heat and cook, turning occasionally, until golden brown, about 6 minutes.
- Remove garlic slices as they turn golden (they won't all brown at once) with a fork and drain on paper towels, leaving oil in pan.
- Increase heat to high, add escarole, and season with salt and pepper. Stir to coat. Add stock. Cook until wilted.
- Season with lemon juice, and drizzle with olive oil. Top with garlic chips.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.