Quick Asian Steam
This lunch is loaded with good-for-you carbs, including veggies and brown rice. Vegetarians looking for protein will find it in the tofu.
Night before: Cook brown rice according to package instructions. Assemble other ingredients through step
2 of the recipe, then refrigerate in an airtight container.
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 15 minutes
- Yield Serves 1
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 ounces extra-firm tofu, well drained, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 ounces snow peas, ends trimmed
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- Cooked brown rice
- In a resealable microwave-safe container, combine vinegar, oil, ginger, and red-pepper flakes; season with salt and pepper. Add tofu and toss.
- Place snow peas, scallions, bell pepper, and carrot in the same container, on top of the tofu. Cover and refrigerate at least 10 minutes and up to 1 day.
- When it's time to eat, stir tofu and vegetables to combine. Cover and microwave on high until vegetables are crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes; set aside. Heat rice until warmed through, about 2 to 3 minutes. Serve vegetable mixture over rice.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.