Assorted Steamed Clams
A dash of Pernod added to the steaming liquid infuses tender, juicy clams with a subtle hint of licorice flavor.
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons Pernod
- 1 medium-size onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1/2 cup assorted fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, tarragon)
- 3 dozen assorted clams (littleneck, Manila, steamer, razor, or yellow)
- 12 sprigs of parsley
- Combine the wine, Pernod, onion, and garlic in a large pot with a tight-fitting lid. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add the herbs. Add the clams and cook, shaking the pot several times, until the clams open, 3 or 4 minutes. Discard any clams that do not open.
- Spoon the clams into shallow soup bowls, spoon in some of the broth, and garnish with the parsley. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.