Head-On Shrimp in Tomato Chervil Broth
If you prefer to serve the entree without the shrimp heads, save them to make a flavorful broth for soups and sauces. Wrapped tightly, they will keep in the freezer for up to one month.
- One 28-ounce can whole tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 14 sprigs of fresh chervil, 8 reserved for garnish
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds head-on shrimp, submerged in cold water to clean (about 12)
- Place the tomatoes and their juice in a 3-quart pot and break them up with a fork. Add the wine, 6 sprigs of chervil, garlic, and 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a fine-mesh strainer and let sit for 10 minutes. Discard the tomato pulp. Season with salt and pepper. Return the broth to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the shrimp, reduce the heat, and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the shrimp are pale pink and the tails curl.
- Divide the shrimp among 4 shallow soup bowls. Ladle some of the broth into each bowl and garnish with the chervil.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.