There are dozens of kinds of miso, each with its own aroma and flavor. All are packed with protein. Whether you use sweet and fine-textured, salty and rough, smooth and tart, or any one of the many other types is strictly a matter of taste. For this dish, however, a sweet version is recommended.
- 4 Japanese eggplants, 6 to 8 inches long
- 3/4 cup sweet miso
- 2 teaspoons light tamari sauce
- In a large steamer, steam the eggplant for 10 to 12 minutes, until very tender. Turn on the broiler.
- Combine the miso and tamari in a small bowl. Make a 1/2-inch-deep lengthwise slit down the eggplants. Spoon 2 tablespoons of miso into each eggplant.
- Place on a baking sheet and slide under the broiler until slightly browned, about 2 to 3 minutes.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.