Grilled Artichokes with Raw Tomato Compote
Nothing symbolizes spring more perfectly than artichokes.
- 4 large artichokes (about 2 1/4 pounds)
- 2 lemons, halved
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Raw Tomato Compote (http://www.wholeliving.com/131202/raw-tomato-compote)
- Prepare a stove-top griddle or outdoor grill. Snap off the tough outer leaves of the artichokes and discard. Rub the exposed surfaces with a lemon half. Cut off about the top third of each artichoke with a sharp knife. Trim the ends of the leaves with scissors. Trim all but 1/2 inch of the stem. Using a stainless-steel knife or a curved "bird's beak" knife, pare the remaining stem.
- Steam the artichokes for 20 minutes. When cool, halve each and, using a melon baller, scoop out the prickly hairs, or the choke, and keep scraping until no more fuzz is apparent. Brush the halves with olive oil.
- Grill each side for 5 to 7 minutes, until the artichokes are nicely browned. Spoon the tomato compote into each half and serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.