Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Pecans and Mustard Seeds
Small and mighty, these baby cabbages cleanse the body and may help prevent cancer. And pecans contain more antioxidants than any other common nut.
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 20 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 1/3 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 2 containers (10 ounces each) Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread pecans on a rimmed baking sheet and toast until fragrant and lightly browned, about 10 minutes; set aside.
- Meanwhile, with the shredding disk of a food processor, shred Brussels sprouts (if you don't have a food processor, halve and thinly slice with a chef's knife). In a large nonstick skillet, heat butter and oil over medium-high heat. Add mustard seeds and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add Brussels sprouts and cook, tossing occasionally until tender and beginning to brown, 7 to 9 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with pecans.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.