Stewed Rhubarb and Raspberries with a Meringue Lattice Crust
A very simple meringue lattice crust floats atop a flavorful stew of raspberries and rhubarb.
- 1 1/4 pounds fresh rhubarb (about 6 stalks) or 4 cups frozen, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pint fresh raspberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups Swiss Meringue (http://www.wholeliving.com/132353/swiss-meringue)
- Combine the rhubarb, raspberries, sugar, and flour in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until the juices thicken, about 5 to 7 minutes. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, until the rhubarb is soft. Transfer to a 4-cup shallow ovenproof baking dish and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees. Make the meringue.
- Fill a clean pastry bag fitted with the giant open star tip with the meringue. Pipe out the meringue onto the raspberry mixture into a simple latticework topping. Bake until very lightly browned, about 5 to 7 minutes. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.