Soba Noodles with Tofu, Avocado, and Snow Peas
Martha Stewart Living, July 2003
- 1 (two-inch piece) fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into very thin strips
- 1 serrano or jalapeno chile, seeded and sliced into very thin strips
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (about 3 limes)
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 package (14 ounces) extra-firm tofu, cut into 3/4-inch cubes and patted dry
- 1 package (about 8 ounces) soba noodles
- 4 ounces snow peas, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, halved crosswise, then sliced lengthwise into thin strips
- 1/4 bunch chives, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- In a small saucepan, bring ginger, chile, sugar, and 1/3 cup water to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook until ginger and chile are soft, about 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer ginger and chile to a bowl; set aside. Reserve syrup.
- Make dressing: In a shallow bowl, whisk together lime juice, soy sauce, and 2 teaspoons reserved syrup. Add tofu, and toss to coat. Set aside.
- In a pot of boiling water, cook the noodles according to package instructions. Drain; transfer to a large bowl. Add peas; drizzle with oil and 1 tablespoon dressing. Toss to coat; let cool.
- To serve, add cucumber and chives to bowl along with the tofu and dressing; toss to combine. Divide among plates; top with avocado and reserved ginger and chile. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.