Warm Red-Lentil Dal with Pita Chips
Serve this dal as a dip with pita chips or as a side dish with grilled meats or fish. Per serving: 189 calories, 5 g fat, 11 mg cholesterol, 25 g carbs, 291 mg sodium, 12 g protein, 3 g fiber
MSL Cookbook Vol. 2; The New Classics
- 1/2 pound red lentils (about 1 1/4 cups), picked over and rinsed
- One 14 1/2-ounce can low-sodium chicken broth, or homemade, skimmed of fat
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1 large tomato, seeded and finely diced
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- In a medium saucepan, combine lentils, broth, water, and turmeric. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan; add garlic, cumin seeds, and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Remove the lentils from heat, and stir in the garlic mixture, diced tomato, mint, and salt. Serve warm.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.