Bright-Green Pea Soup
To prevent the peas from losing their vibrant color once you've pureed them, the soup must be cooled very quickly.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 cups Chicken Stock to Make 1 1/2 Quarts (http://www.wholeliving.com/130403/chicken-stock-make-1-12-quarts)
- or Vegetable Stock (http://www.wholeliving.com/130756/vegetable-stock), or low-sodium canned
- 3 pounds fresh peas, shelled, or 5 cups frozen
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh tarragon sprigs, for garnish
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over low heat. Add the shallots and cook, covered, until they are soft and translucent. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Add the peas and simmer 10 minutes more for fresh peas and 4 minutes for frozen, or until the peas are just heated through and still vibrant.
- Puree the mixture in a blender and pour through a wide-mesh strainer into a bowl set in a larger bowl filled with ice and cold water. Stir until cool to the touch.
- Stir in the yogurt and season with salt and pepper. Divide among 4 chilled soup bowls and garnish with sprigs of tarragon.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.