Photo: Johnny Miller
Spring Vegetable and Chickpea Soup with Cheese Toasts
Greens, sugar snap peas, and carrots give this soup its lively taste (and colors) and add to its satisfying heartiness.
Martha Stewart Living, April 2011
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour, 10 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- <b>FOR THE SOUP</b>
- <a href="/recipe/vegetable-stock-broth">Vegetable Stock</a>
- 4 ounces sugar snap peas, thinly sliced on the bias
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/8-inch rounds
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup watercress, large stems discarded
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced into ribbons
- <b>FOR THE TOASTS</b>
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons low-fat cottage cheese (3 1/2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup soft goat cheese (2 ounces)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 thin slices whole-wheat baguette or bread, toasted
- Freshly ground pepper
- Make the soup: Bring stock to a gentle simmer in a medium saucepan. Add sugar snap peas and carrots, and simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat, and season with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and some pepper. Stir in chickpeas, watercress, and basil.
- Make the toasts: Stir together cheeses and scallions. Spread onto toasts, and sprinkle with pepper. Serve soup with toasts.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.