Sweet Potato Puree with Browned-Butter Maple Syrup
With just a modest amount of pure maple
syrup, this version retains all the
expected sweetness of the familiar dish.
Martha Stewart Living, November 2010
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 1/2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prick sweet potatoes a few times with a fork. Bake on a foil-lined baking sheet until tender, 1 hour 15 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Scoop out flesh from sweet potatoes, and puree in a food processor with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt until smooth (you may need to do this in 2 batches). Season with pepper.
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add butter; cook, swirling, until deep brown with a nutty aroma. Remove from heat; swirl in syrup. Reheat puree; transfer to a bowl. Pour butter over top; sprinkle with pecans.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.