Mulligatawny with Chickpeas
Serving the rice on the side lets diners choose how much to use.
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 25 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 8 ounces dried yellow lentils, rinsed
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 can (19 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup scallion greens, for garnish
- Brown basmati rice, for serving
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium. Add garlic, ginger, cumin, turmeric, coriander, and cayenne; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add lentils and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer; cover and cook until lentils are soft, 7 to 9 minutes. Working in batches, transfer to a blender and puree soup. Return soup to pot, add 2 cups of water. Cook over medium until warmed through. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add chickpeas; cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and crisp, 7 to 8 minutes. Serve soup topped with chickpeas and scallion greens with rice alongside.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.