Egg, Kale, and Ricotta on Toast
Lightly sauteed greens transform a standard egg-and-toast breakfast into a special morning meal that could also serve as a light supper. The kale adds a healthy boost of calcium, folic acid, and carotenoids, as well as vitamin K.
This recipe is featured in the "Power Foods" cookbook.
The Martha Stewart Show, January 2011
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 cups chopped trimmed kale (about 1 large bunch), preferably lacinato
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 slices rustic bread, toasted
- 3 tablespoons ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over medium-high burner. Cook garlic until barely golden, stirring frequently, about 1 minute. Add kale and the water; cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add lemon juice and salt, and season with pepper; stir to combine.
- Spread each slice of bread with half of the cheese. Top with kale mixture, dividing evenly.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in another skillet over medium burner. Crack eggs into skillet, one at a time. Cook until whites are just set, about 2 minutes. With a spatula, carefully place an egg on each bruschetta, and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.