Adapted with permission from "Super Natural Every Day: Well-Loved Recipes from My Natural Foods Kitchen" by Heidi Swanson, copyright 2011. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House, Inc.
Whole Living, May 2011
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups day-old 1/2-inch whole-wheat bread cubes
- 2 cups finely chopped baby spinach
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- Brush a 9-inch square baking dish with olive oil. Sprinkle the baking dish with lemon zest and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the olive oil, mustard, salt, and pepper with a splash of the milk. Whisk in remaining milk and the eggs.
- Put the bread in the prepared baking dish and top with the spinach and half of the feta. Gently toss with your hands until combined. Drizzle the egg mixture over the bread and sprinkle with the remaining feta. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees with a rack in the top third of the oven.
- Bake the strata, uncovered, for 45 to 55 minutes, until the egg is set in the middle and the edges are browned. Brown the top under the broiler, if desired. Serve warm, drizzled with a bit of olive oil and sprinkled with the fresh oregano.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.