Pea and Potato Curry
Whole Living, May 2011
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1 green chili
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 7 fresh curry leaves (optional)
- 3 large tomatoes (about 2 pounds), chopped
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, chopped into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh shelled peas (from 1 pound peas in pods)
- Coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons whole-milk Greek yogurt
- Heat a four-quart heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Toast coriander, fennel, and mustard seeds until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer to a spice grinder and process until finely ground. (You can also crush the seeds with the side of a chef's knife.)
- Heat oil in the pot. Add ground seeds, cinnamon, chili, garlic, onion, ginger, and curry leaves (if using). Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and bring to a boil, then simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Add potatoes and 2 cups of water. Simmer, partially covered, until potatoes are tender, about 35 minutes.
- Add peas and cook until tender, about 12 minutes.
- Season with salt. Stir in yogurt. Remove cinnamon stick before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.