Photo: Marcus Nilsson
Foraged Frank and Beans
Whole Living, June 2011
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage, cut into pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pound morels, quartered
- 1 pound porcinis, quartered
- 2 cups fiddlehead ferns, sheaves removed, trimmed to about 2 inches
- 1 can white beans, drained
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a cast-iron skillet. Add sausage and cook until brown. Remove and set aside.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of oil; add onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms in batches and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add fiddleheads and cook until tender but slightly crunchy, about 3 minutes more.
- Add beans and wine. Simmer until liquid has reduced by half. Season with salt and pepper.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.