Wheat Berries with Vegetables
Broccoli, onion, tomatoes, yellow zucchini, and eggplant, coupled with nutty wheat berries (unprocessed whole kernels of wheat), make a lusty dish. This is an excellent accompaniment to meat or fish; it can also be served as an entree.
Martha Stewart Living, September 2001
- Yield Serves 8 to 10 as a side dish
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 1 quart water
- 1 small head broccoli (about 15 ounces), trimmed and cut into florets
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- One 28-ounce can tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano
- 1 large yellow zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 small eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place wheat berries in a small stockpot over high heat. Add the water. Cover; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer until tender, at least 40 minutes. Drain; set aside.
- Fill a large bowl with ice and water; set aside. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add the broccoli, and blanch until bright green, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to the ice bath, and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 10 minutes. Raise heat to medium, and add the tomatoes, oregano, zucchini, eggplant, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened, about 15 minutes. Add the broccoli and wheat berries, and continue to cook until broccoli and wheat berries are heated through, about 3 minutes more. Serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.