Chilled Avocado-Cucumber Soup
The smooth texture of avocado gives chilled soup a thick consistency, making heavy or sour cream unnecessary; avocado can similarly stand in for butter or cheese in a sandwich.
Martha Stewart Living, April 2007
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and diced (1/4 cup reserved for garnish)
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and diced (1/4 cup reserved for garnish)
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, plus sprigs for garnish
- 1 scallion, white and pale-green parts only, coarsely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Puree ingredients in a blender. Divide soup and reserved cucumber and avocado among 4 bowls. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.