Skip the traditional accoutrement and use healthier sauces to accompany your steamed artichokes.
Body+Soul, April/May 2007
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 10 minutes
- Yield 1 cup
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 large pasteurized egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Bring an inch of water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add garlic and cook until easily pierced with tip of a paring knife, 3 to 5 minutes; drain. Use a chef's knife to mash garlic into a paste.
- In a medium bowl, whisk garlic, egg yolk, Dijon, and lemon juice. Whisking constantly, add oil in a thin stream. Whisk in paprika, cayenne, and hot pepper sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
Sauce will keep covered and refrigerated for several days.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.