Baked Artichokes with Breadcrumbs
Artichokes aren't as prickly to prepare as they may seem (get our step-by-step trimming instructions).
Body+Soul, April 2010
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs, toasted
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chives, cut into 1/2-inch lengths
- 1/2 teaspoon minced lemon zest
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 2 artichokes, trimmed, with top 1/4 cut off
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine breadcrumbs, oil, chives, lemon zest, garlic, and cheese. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Cut off the top quarter of the artichokes lengthwise, and remove the chokes.
- Season artichokes with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Divide the bread mixture among the four artichoke halves, packing it into the cavities.
- Place artichokes in a pan just large enough to hold them. Add about 1/2 inch of water, and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake until the artichokes are tender and the breadcrumbs are golden brown, about an hour.
You may end up with a little water in the bottom of the pan at the end of cooking -- that's OK. Simply use a pair of tongs or slotted spoon to lift the artichokes out and tip forward slightly to release any water.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.