Warm Wheatberry Salad
Wheatberries -- whole, unprocessed wheat kernels -- are available at any health-food store and should be soaked overnight to facilitate cooking the next day. They contain oils that turn rancid quickly. Be sure to refrigerate them in an airtight container.
Martha Stewart Living Television
- 1 cup wheatberries
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced white button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped fresh sage
- Place wheatberries in a strainer and rinse under cold water. In a large pot, combine wheatberries with 2 1/2 quarts salted water, and cook until al dente, about 50 minutes. Drain, and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add onions, and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in mushrooms, and add white wine. Simmer until wine has evaporated, about 7 minutes. Add onions and mushrooms to wheatberries in a medium bowl. Toss with parsley and sage, and season with salt and pepper to taste; serve warm.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.