Barley Risotto with Shrimp and Peas
A smattering of sweet peas and a good measure of rock shrimp turn a humble bowl of pearl barley into a serious risotto.
Martha Stewart Living, May 2007
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 6 cups homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 12 ounces rock shrimp, peeled Maine shrimp, or other small peeled shrimp
- 2 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Place barley in a bowl, and add enough cold water to cover by 2 inches. Cover; let soak in the refrigerator overnight.
- Bring stock to a boil in a saucepan. Remove from heat, and cover. Drain barley. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook 6 minutes. Stir in barley. Add wine, and cook, stirring, until liquid has evaporated.
- Add 1/2 cup stock, and cook, stirring, until liquid is absorbed. Continue adding stock, 1/2 cup at a time, waiting until liquid is absorbed before adding more, until barley is tender but still slightly firm, about 35 minutes total (reserve 1/4 cup stock to stir in at the end).
- About 1 minute before barley is done, stir in shrimp and peas, and cook until shrimp are opaque throughout. Remove from heat, and stir in 1/4 cup stock, lemon zest, lemon juice, Parmesan, and salt. Season with pepper, and serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.