Baby Greens with Tuna and Mixed Vegetables
This mixed salad combines cherry tomatoes, two kinds of greens, four additional vegetables, and omega-3-rich tuna. The olive oil from the jarred tuna infuses the dish with flavor.
Martha Stewart Living, May 2008
For the Salad
- 4 cups (2 1/2 ounces) baby romaine lettuce
- 3 cups (2 1/2 ounces) baby spinach
- 3 medium carrots, peeled into ribbons (3/4 cup)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 6 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 1/2 ounces radishes, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 6-ounce jar tuna packed in olive oil, drained, oil reserved for dressing
For the Dressing
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (reserved from tuna)
- Make the salad: Combine all of the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Make the dressing: Whisk together mustard, vinegar, shallot, lemon zest and juice, water, salt, and pepper. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until dressing is emulsified.
- Toss the salad with the dressing, and serve immediately.
Look for high-quality tuna packed in olive oil at specialty markets, some supermarkets, or online.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.