Escape the heat with a refreshing bowl of gazpacho.
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 20 minutes plus marinating
- Yield Serves 4
- 2 pounds yellow heirloom tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium yellow squash (6 ounces), halved lengthwise and thickly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, cut into large chunks
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup carrot juice (fresh or canned)
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt
- 1 avocado
- 1 small red heirloom tomato
- In a food processor or blender, working in batches, combine yellow tomatoes, onion, squash, bell pepper, garlic, carrot juice, vinegar, and oil. Pulse until finely pureed. Season with salt. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 2 hours.
- At serving time, halve, pit, and dice the avocado. Core and dice the red tomato. Serve soup in chilled bowls topped with avocado and tomato.
For the best color and flavor, choose deep yellow heirlooms and golden yellow squash for this take on gazpacho.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.