Grilled Tuna with Cherry-Tomato Salad and Herbed Bulghur
The herbed bulghur wheat can be made ahead and set aside while the rest of the meal is being prepared.
Martha Stewart Living, April 2003
- 1 cup bulghur wheat
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/4 cup loosely packed inner celery leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced into rounds
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for grill
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 tuna steaks (each 6 ounces and about 1 inch thick)
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil. Place bulghur in a large heatproof bowl; cover with the boiling water. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt; stir just to combine, and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let steam until tender but still slightly chewy, 22 to 25 minutes. If all water has not been absorbed, drain bulghur in a sieve, then return to dried bowl. Let cool. Using a fork, stir in celery leaves, mint, cilantro, and coriander.
- Make cherry-tomato salad: In a medium bowl, toss the tomatoes and scallions with the oil, lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Season with pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a lightly oiled grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle both sides of each tuna steak with about 1/4 teaspoon salt; season evenly with pepper. Cook until first side is seared with grill marks, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip tuna, and cook 3 minutes more for medium-rare. Serve with herbed bulghur on the side and cherry-tomato salad spooned on top.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.