Baked Sweet-Potato Fries
A healthy redo of french fries, this popular "vegetable" curbs the fat and salt but keeps the crunch.
Body+Soul, January/February 2009
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 35 minutes
- Yield Serves 4 to 6
- Vegetable oil for parchment
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), skins on, scrubbed and cut into 4-inch sticks, each 1/2 inch thick
- 3 large egg whites (a scant 1/2 cup)
- <u>Mediterranean Spice</u>
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees with racks in the upper and middle positions. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and rub with oil.
- Put sweet potatoes in a microwave-safe container, cover, and microwave 2 minutes. Stir gently, cover, and microwave 1 to 2 minutes more until pieces are pliable. Let rest 5 minutes covered; pour onto a platter.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy, add spice mix, and whisk to blend. Working in batches, toss the sweet-potato pieces in the seasoned egg whites, letting the excess liquid drip back into the bowl. Place in a single layer on prepared baking sheets. Bake 10 minutes, then flip pieces over with a spatula. Rotate baking sheets from front to back and from one rack to the other. Bake until dark golden brown, about 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.