Chilled Corn and Crab Salad
A little spicy crab goes a long way in a sweet and spicy chilled salad, with fresh corn and minced hot red pepper.
Martha Stewart Living, September 2007
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels (from about 6 ears of corn)
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced, seeded hot red chile, such as red Thai chile
- 3 ounces lump crabmeat (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh basil, plus small leaves for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add corn, and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in onion. Let cool.
- Whisk together lemon juice and sugar. Drizzle in remaining tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons oil, whisking until combined.
- Combine corn-onion mixture, chile, crabmeat, and basil. Gently stir in lemon dressing, salt, and pepper. Cover, and refrigerate until chilled, at least 30 minutes (or up to 2 hours). Serve garnished with basil leaves.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.