Rustic Gruyere Croutons
These croutons need only thin shavings of assertively flavored cheese to satisfy. This recipe uses Gruyere, but Emmental and Beaufort are excellent too.
10th Anniversary Cookbook; Martha Stewart Living Cookbook, 2000
- Yield Makes 4 large croutons
- 1/2 small loaf whole-grain bread, broken into 4 rough pieces
- 2 ounces Gruyere cheese, shaved into paper-thin slices
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Toast the bread on both sides. Top each piece with a slice of Gruyere and slide under the broiler until the cheese bubbles. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.