Whole-Wheat Pasta with Pumpkin-Seed and Spinach Pesto
This dish is a great start to a healthier, flexitarian (more veggies, less meat) style of eating.
Martha Stewart Living, September 2009
- 1 pound dried whole-wheat fusilli pasta
- 1 cup hulled pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 1/2 ounces baby spinach, packed (2 1/2 cups)
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese, for serving
- Tomatoes, cut into wedges, for serving (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta, and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, combine toasted pumpkin seeds, parsley, chives, oil, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, the lemon zest, and 1 cup baby spinach in a food processor. Season with pepper, and pulse until well combined.
- Toss pasta with pesto mixture. Add reserved cooking liquid, and mix until pasta is well coated. Fold in remaining 1 1/2 cups baby spinach. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Divide among 6 bowls. Top each with a dollop of ricotta, and season with pepper. Serve with tomato wedges if desired.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.