Japanese Risotto with Mushrooms and Scallions
As with any risotto, this dish should be served hot. Japanese rice absorbs sake and chicken stock, achieving the creamy, smooth texture of perfect
risotto. Garnish with enoki mushrooms, chopped scallions, and Kaiware sprouts. If you use the miso broth, a savory (not sweet) version is recommended for this recipe.
- 4 1/2 cups Vegetable Stock (http://www.wholeliving.com/130756/vegetable-stock), or miso-infused broth
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Kokohu Rose or other short-grain rice
- 1/2 cup sake
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup enoki mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup Kaiware sprouts
- If using the miso-infused broth, combine 1 tablespoon miso with 4 1/2 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the rice, stirring constantly
in one direction, until well coated. Remove the pan from the heat and add the sake. Return to the heat and stir constantly in one direction until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the stock or broth in 1/2-cup increments, stirring constantly until the liquid is absorbed with each addition. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon into serving bowls, garnish with the mushrooms, scallions, and sprouts and serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.