Grilled Scallops with Spring Greens
One of the best ways to prepare sea scallops is also one of the easiest. Simply season them with salt and pepper and grill to sweet, smoky perfection.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 12 large sea scallops
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon herbed Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon walnut oil
- 1 teaspoon boiling water
- 4 cups mixed greens (baby spinach, arugula, mache)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- Four 6-inch bamboo skewers, soaked in water
- Spray a ridged cast-iron stove-top griddle or outdoor grill with nonstick cooking spray and preheat it. Season the scallops lightly with salt and pepper, thread 3 on each side of the skewers, and grill about 1 1/2 minutes per side, or until slightly firm. Remove and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place the mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt and pepper in a small food processor. With the machine running, add the oils in a stream. Process for about 30 seconds, then add the boiling water and process for about 10 seconds more.
- Mix the lettuces with the herbs and the dressing, reserving about 2 teaspoons of dressing. Divide the lettuces evenly among 4 plates. Arrange 3 scallops on each plate, drizzle with the reserved dressing, and serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.