Healthy Chicken Salad
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound (2 small whole breasts) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped tarragon
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup finely diced fennel
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 2 cups red seedless grapes, cut in half
- 6 slices pumpernickel bread
- 1 bunch watercress, tough stems removed
- Olive-oil cooking spray
- Combine salt and pepper in a bowl. Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle chicken with some of the salt mixture; place in saute pan. Reduce heat to medium; cover. Cook until chicken is cooked through, about 12 minutes (flip halfway through cooking time). Remove from pan; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine yogurt, mustard, chives, tarragon, and remaining salt mixture. Core the apple, and cut into 1/4-inch dice. Place in a medium bowl with lemon juice, and toss to combine. Add fennel, celery, and grapes. Cut reserved chicken into 1/2-inch pieces. Add to salad with yogurt dressing; stir to combine. Serve on pumpernickel bread, open-faced, with watercress.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.