Eggplant Spread Recipe
This silky dip gets its flavor from garlic and thyme, stuffed into slits in the eggplant before it's grilled. For a rustic look and feel, serve it on crispy grilled crostini.
Body+Soul, July/August 2010
- 3 medium eggplant (about 4 pounds), halved
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and very thinly sliced lengthwise
- 12 1-inch pieces fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh herbs (a combination of parsley and basil)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Arrange eggplant cut side up on a baking sheet. Make slits in eggplant and insert garlic and thyme. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bake until tender, about 1 hour. Remove from oven; let stand until cool, about 20 minutes.
- Scoop flesh into a food processor. Add herbs, 2 tablespoons oil, and lemon juice. Puree until smooth. Pulse with 1 teaspoon salt and pepper to combine. Will keep refrigerated up to 3 days. Serve with crackers or crostini.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.