Asparagus with Shiitakes, Shallots, and Peas
Harbingers of spring, asparagus and peas pair well with the earthy flavor of shiitakes mushrooms. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Per serving: 98 calories; 4 g protein; 5 g fat; 11 g carb; 3 g fiber.
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 25 minutes
- Yield Serves 6
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 5 shallots, halved and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- Coarse salt
- Ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 medium thick asparagus bunches, tough ends removed, cut on diagonal into 2-inch lengths (2 pounds total)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- In a large nonstick skillet with a lid, heat oil over medium. Add shallots and cook until they begin to color, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook, tossing occasionally, until mushrooms and shallots are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Add lemon zest and tarragon; toss to combine.
- In the same skillet, bring 2 inches of water to a boil. Add asparagus, season with salt, cover, and cook until asparagus is bright green and tender, 3 to 4 minutes (timing will vary depending upon thickness of asparagus). Add peas to skillet, and then drain.
- Transfer to bowl with the shallots and mushrooms, add lemon juice, and toss to combine.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.