This zesty salsa will last up to four days when refrigerated in a sealed container. It can be served on toasted whole-wheat bread or tofu that is sliced and oven-baked for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
Per serving: 51 calories; 2 g protein; 2 g fat; 8 g carbs; 3 g fiber
Body+Soul, September 2005
- 3 medium red or yellow tomatoes
- 2 small zucchini
- 2 Japanese eggplants
- 2 small yellow squashes
- 1/4 cup onion minced
- 1 tablespoon turmeric minced or 1 tablespoon ground, dried turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat the barbecue or broiler. Halve tomatoes, zucchinis, eggplants, and squashes lengthwise. Grill or broil vegetables until softened and lightly browned on both sides. Let cool.
- Chop vegetables into small pieces, then toss them together in a large bowl. Mix in onion, turmeric, cumin, canola oil, orange juice, and salt to taste. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. Serve on top of sliced, toasted whole-wheat bread.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.