Banana, Coconut, and Cashew-Cream Tart
Per serving: 309 calories, 19 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 37 g carbs, 67 mg sodium, 4 g protein, 5 g fiber
Annual Recipes 2004
- Yield Makes one 9-inch tart
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight and thoroughly drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup, and more to taste
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 3/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 3 or 4 ripe but firm bananas
For Tart Shell
- 1 1/2 cups whole pecans
- Pinch of coarse salt
- 1 1/2 cups pitted dates
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- Make tart shell: Coarsely chop pecans and salt in a food processor. Add dates; pulse until thoroughly combined, 15 to 20 seconds. Add syrup; pulse just until combined and mixture sticks together. Press nut mixture firmly and evenly into a 9-inch pie plate, wetting your fingers as needed. Set tart shell aside.
- Make filling: Grind nuts to a coarse paste in a blender. Add water, syrup, and vanilla scrapings; blend until smooth, about 5 minutes, scraping sides as needed. Mixture should be the consistency of thick pancake batter. Set aside 2 tablespoons coconut; add remainder to blender, and process to combine. Pour into prepared shell, spreading evenly.
- Thinly slice bananas on the bias; arrange in slightly overlapping rows, beginning at edge of tart. Sprinkle with reserved coconut; serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.