Fried Rice with Tofu and Flaxseed
Annual Recipes 2005
- 1/2 package (7 ounces) firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely grated
- 3/4 cup fresh shelled or frozen thawed peas
- 6 scallions, white and light-green parts only, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 tablespoon whole brown flaxseed, plus 2 teaspoons ground brown flaxseed (from about 1 teaspoon whole)
- 3/4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- Gently toss tofu with 1 tablespoon soy sauce in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Bring rice and 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cover; reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until rice is tender and water has been absorbed, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add eggs, and cook, stirring, until just starting to set, about 30 seconds. Add reserved rice; stir to coat and break up any lumps. Reduce heat to medium-low, and add carrot, peas, and scallions. Cook until heated through, about 4 minutes. Add whole and ground flaxseed, remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce, the sesame oil, and tofu; cook 5 minutes more. Season with pepper.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.