Salad with Egg, Nuts, and Veggies
Loaded with slow-digesting veggies and a protein-packed egg, this salad makes the perfect lunch. The avocado and olive-oil-based dressing deliver enough healthy fats to make you feel full. If you want to add more good carbs, pair the salad with a whole-grain roll or a piece of fruit.
Night before: Boil the green beans, combine them with the last four ingredients in an airtight container, and refrigerate. Leave the avocado peel on and tightly wrap it in plastic to keep it fresh.
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 10 minutes
- Yield Serves 1
- 1 large egg
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 ounces green beans, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard
- 1/4 avocado
- 1 ounce baby spinach (3/4 cup)
- 2 ounces frisee (2 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons pecans
- Place egg in a saucepan; cover with cold water. Bring just to a boil; cover and remove from heat. Let stand 12 minutes, then run under cold water to stop cooking. Peel egg and quarter.
- In the same saucepan, bring 2 inches salted water to a boil. Add green beans and cook until crisp-tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Immediately run under cold water to stop cooking.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, oil, and mustard; season with salt and pepper. Store this dressing in a small airtight container.
- Just before serving, dice avocado and add it to your premade salad, along with egg. Toss with dressing.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.