Zucchini Patty Sandwiches
This zucchini-chickpea sandwich takes its inspiration from falafel. It is filling enough for dinner, and satisfies meat-eaters and vegetarians.
Whole Living, September 2011
- 1 15.5-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1 small red onion, grated
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 whole-wheat pitas, toasted
- 1 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- 8 leaves tender lettuce
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- Mash chickpeas in a bowl until smooth. Stir in breadcrumbs, zucchini, onion, egg, and salt. Form into eight 4-by-1/2-inch patties.
- Saute patties in oil until golden and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Halve pitas and stuff with patties, yogurt, lettuce, and mint.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.