Fresh Tomato Sauce
Use whatever type of tomatoes you
like: juicy heirlooms, meaty plums,
or sweet yellows.
Whole Living, September 2011
- Yield Makes about 4 cups (enough for 16 pizzas)
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 3 pounds ripe tomatoes, chopped, juices reserved
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 8 fresh basil leaves, torn if large
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium
heat. Add onions, garlic, and carrots
and cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
Add tomatoes and their juices, a pinch
of salt, oregano, and basil; bring to
- Reduce heat to low and
cook, stirring occasionally until sauce
is thick, about 1 hour. Puree in a food
processor, if desired. Season with salt
- Let sauce cool to room
temperature before using on pizza.
(Refrigerate for up to a week, or freeze
for up to two months.)
Refrigerate for up to a week, or freeze for up to two months.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.